Before your Ceremony

Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)

A completed Notice of Intended Marriage form must be filed with me at least one month before and up to eighteen months before your confirmed wedding date. I am able to help you to fill out this form in our second meeting. If required, the NOIM may be completed outside of Australia.

If you wish to marry sooner than one month, you may apply for a shortening of time as long as your reasons fall into the following:

  • employment related or other travel commitments
  • wedding or celebration arrangements, or religious considerations
  • medical reasons
  • legal proceedings, or
  • an error in giving notice (on behalf of the celebrant)

When lodging a NOIM, the following ORIGINAL forms of identification must be made available:

  • Australian or Overseas Birth Certificate (Not Birth Extract)- If lost, you must contact the Department of Births, Deaths & Marriages to purchase a reprint
  • An Australian or Overseas Passport
  • Photo Identification
  • If a party is widowed - the death notice of that party’s spouse
  • If a party is under the age of 18 - A parent’s consent on the required form and a court order under Section 12 of the marriage Act
  • If you are divorced, you must provide a Divorce Certificate. If you've been married more than once,  I need to see proof of your most recent divorce

If for a valid reason you are unable to present one of the identification forms required, you will need to complete a Commonwealth statutory declaration explaining why.

If the document you have provided as evidence of your date and place of birth is written in another language, a translation of the document by a NAATI accredited translator with be required.

  • A Statutory Declaration (Form 14) will also need to be completed and signed, stating that you both see no legal impediment to your marriage and that the information provided on your NOIM is correct. Usually this is signed at the time of the rehearsal.

At your Ceremony

On the day of your wedding, you will sign three marriage certificates, two official and the other decorative. Each certificate will be signed by you, myself and two chosen witnesses (18+). The decorative wedding certificate will be given to you as a keepsake of your special day.

After your Ceremony

It is my job to ensure that your marriage is registered with the registry of births, deaths and marriages. Done.

Changing your Name

Should you choose to take the name of your husband or wife, you will need to apply for an official wedding certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages. Apply online here -

Once you receive this certificate , you may use it to change your name along with your passport, license, banking details etc. You can find all the information you need here -